Thank You...

Thank you.

To those who held open the door for us as we struggled with our groceries. To those who had kind, encouraging words and stories about the time they had to wear a cast. To those who called, tweeted, Facebook messaged wondering how he was doing. My employer, I can't even express how much they helped me, from saving my back and shoulders by getting us a wheelchair within an hour, and the promises of after care. Even the people who questioned how it happened, I'm sure you cared, even a little, and that made me smile, even if I found it very tiring to explain that it was an unexplained injury over and over again. To the scowling old lady in the grocery store and the ass in the big white SUV that parked in front of the wheelchair ramp at the plaza on Sunday, go eat a hot bowl of dicks.

That was a bit mean, but it effectively expresses my emotions at said times.

Being in a wheelchair is not easy. I'm sure you can probably guess, but once you experience the obstacles first hand it really affects you. My heart goes out to those that have to face these obstacles every day. I can tell you first hand it is not easy to have a child in a wheelchair, especially as a single parent. Even simple tasks such as getting groceries seemed to be exhausting. A trip that would have taken an hour at the most now took almost two hours after you factor in the transfers from the car to the wheelchair, the wheelchair to the trunk (which was never an easy battle), the wheelchair out of the trunk (again, not easy) and the kid in the wheelchair. Something that doesn't sound very difficult, but when you have an immobile 70 pounder who wanted nothing more than to get out of the car and run, it was very difficult. My shoulders are still begging for a massage.

Yesterday we spent the morning in the orthopaedic clinic at the hospital.  After reading through Dr. Seuss' ABC Book (twice) and waiting for hours, the cast came off with no more than some mild swelling and bruising of his ankle. I carried around 70 pounds of kid for five days, and all for some tendon damage.  I worried about the growth of his ankle after the break and fitting physio appointments into our already hectic schedule merely for an internal bruise.


we are happy to resume our lives.  Swimming lessons went very well yesterday and we are looking forward to our karate lessons on Saturday morning.  Life is okay again.  This whole experience was really eye opening for us.  My child, who once thought wheelchairs were a "cool" mode of transportation very quickly learned that being confined to a chair really isn't as fun as he had hoped.  I learned that there are so many wonderful people in the world who really do care.  I also learned that having a kid in a wheelchair is a lot more difficult than I ever would have imagined.

Share this:


Hello..this is my blog. I bought this fancy theme and I don't know what to write here just yet. Maybe one day remind me I have to write something inspiring here?


Post a Comment